Name and location of repository
Level of description
Texas A&M University, Office of the President Records, Gibb Gilchrist through Jack K. Williams
- 1948-1972 (Creation)
139 boxes (139 linear feet)
Content and structure elements
Scope and content
This collection contains official documents from the Office of the President at Texas A&M University. A PDF finding aid is available upon request.
Presidents included are:
Gibb Gilchrist, C. E.
- President May 27, 1944 - September 1, 1948
- Chancellor of the Texas A&M System September 1, 1948 - August 31, 1953
- Born: Wills Point, Texas; December 23, 1887
- Died: College Station, Texas; May 12, 1972; buried in College Station
- Appointed dean of the School of Engineering in 1937; elected president of the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas May 27, 1944; served until September 1, 1948, when the Texas A&M System was created and he became the first chancellor of the System, serving until his retirement on August 31, 1953.
Marion Thomas Harrington, Ph.D.
- President June 3, 1950 - September 1, 1953, and September 1, 1957 - July 1, 1959
- Chancellor September 1, 1953 - August 31, 1965
- Born: Plano, Texas; September 8, 1901
- Dean of the College when elected president of the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas on September 22, 1949, effective "at the end of the present school year." This was interpreted to be June 3, 1950, and on that date, he officially took over the reins of the presidency. He served until September 1, 1953; when he became the second chancellor of the System, succeeding Mr. Gilchrist. Dr. Harrington was elected president a second time on August 23, 1957, and in addition to his duties as chancellor served as president from September 1, 1957, until July 1, 1959. He retired as chancellor on August 31, 1965. He was the first graduate of Texas A&M University to serve as president and also as chancellor.
David Hitchens Morgan, Ph.D.
- President September 1, 1953 - December 21, 1956
- Born: Portsmouth, Virginia; January 2, 1909
- Died: St. Petersburg, FL; April 21, 1974
- Dean of the College when elected president of the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas on June 17, 1953, effective September 1, 1953; resigned December 21, 1956.
David Willard Williams, M.S.
- Acting President December 22, 1956 - September 1, 1957
- Born: Venedocia, Ohio; August 20, 1892
- Died: Bryan, TX; October 30, 1985; buried in Bryan.
- Vice President for agriculture when appointed acting President on December 22, 1956; served until September 1, 1957.
James Earl Rudder, LL.D.
- President of Texas A&M University July 1, 1959 - March 23, 1970
- President of the Texas A&M University system September 1, 1965 - March 23, 1970
- Born: Eden, Texas; May 6, 1910
- Died: Houston, Texas; March 23, 1970; buried at College Station.
- Vice President when elected president of the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas June 27, 1959, effective July 1, 1959. On September 1, 1965, when Dr. Harrington retired as chancellor of the Texas A&M University System, the title was changed to president, and Mr. Rudder, in addition to his duties as president of Texas A&M University, became president of the Texas A&M University System, which dual position he held until his death on March 23, 1970.
Alvin Roubal Luedecke, LL.D.
- Acting President March 30, 1970 - November 1, 1970
- Born: Eldorado, Texas; October 1, 1910
- Died: San Antonio, Texas; August 9, 1998; buried at Fort Sam Houston National Cemetery in San Antonio.
- Associate dean of the College of Engineering when appointed acting president on March 30, 1970; served until November 1, 1970.
Jack Kenny Williams, Ph.D.
- President of Texas A&M University November 1, 1970 - July 31, 1977
- President of the Texas A&M University System November 1, 1970 - July 31, 1977
- Chancellor of the Texas A&M University System August 1, 1977 - January 24, 1979
- Born: Galax, Virginia; April 5, 1920
- Died: Houston, Texas; September 28, 1981; buried in Clemson, South Carolina, on the campus of Clemson University.
- Vice-President for academic affairs, University of Tennessee System, when elected President of Texas A&M University and president of the Texas A&M University System on September 11, 1970, effective November 1, 1970; Elevated to Chancellor of the System on May 24, 1977; Resigned as Chancellor on January 24, 1979, to return to teaching.
System of arrangement
This collection is arranged chronologically, then alphabetically under each Texas A&M President's term.
Conditions of access and use elements
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Languages of the material
Scripts of the material
Language and script notes
Acquisition and appraisal elements
Immediate source of acquisition
Related materials elements
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related archival materials
Description control element
Rules or conventions
© Copyright 2019 Agronomy Road. All rights reserved.