Showing 134 results

Archival Descriptions
Texas A & M University English
Advanced search options
Print preview Hierarchy View:

Mrs. Oliver P. Harris (C. P. Harris) Collection

  • US TxAM-C 1172
  • Collection
  • 1934-1950; Undated

This collection contains personal correspondence between the President of the Texas Club at Texas A&M and members. Along with Mrs. Oliver P Harris’s personal letters and papers, and references to social clubs and events during the 1930s.

Harris, C. P.

Texas A&M Flying Club Records

  • US TxAM-C 1214
  • Collection
  • 1992-1995

This collection includes records of club finances and administration, between 1992-1995.

Texas A & M University Flying Club

Office of Continuing Education Records

  • US TxAM-C 287
  • Collection
  • 1972-1984

This collection contains records from the Texas A&M University Office of Continuing Education. Records include official summaries, meetings, conventions, workshops, pamphlets, and other miscellaneous continuing education documents.

Continuing Education, Office of

James R. Couch Papers

  • US TxAM-C 1449
  • Collection
  • 1950-1974

This collection contains articles written by James Russell Couch from his duration at Texas A&M as professor of Poultry and Nutrition Science. The articles relate to Poultry and Nutrition science and range from 1950 to 1974.

Couch, James Russell

Gustav McKee Watkins: A Biography Collection

  • US TxAM-C 711
  • Collection

This collection contains a photocopy of Chapter 8 from the second edition of a book entitled Gustav McKee Watkins: A Biography, by John Bennett Watkins II, with additional references including a follow-up email of contents and extra biography materials.

Star Wars at Texas A&M University Collection

  • US TxAM-C C000245
  • Collection
  • 2015

This collection consists of a number of items of Texas A&M University memorabilia, that display images, and lines of dialogue from the Star Wars cinematic universe. These items were sold in the fall of 2015 at the University Bookstore at the Memorial Student Center (MSC), as part of the nationwide landslide of publicity surrounding the December 2015 release of the film Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

Items in the collection include T-shirts, pennants, stickers, decals, and beverage coolers, among others.

Wendell G. Swank Papers

  • US TxAM-C 1249
  • Collection
  • 1950-1989

This collection includes papers of Dr. Wendell G. Swank’s works who was a department faculty member in the Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences Department at Texas A&M during the 1950s to 1980s.

Swank, Wendell G.

W. P. Ratchford Letters

  • US TxAM-C 1229
  • Collection
  • 1889-1891

This collection contains letters written by W. P. Ratchford to his family in the years between 1889 and 1891, giving details about his life in the dorms and the Corps of Cadets at A&M.

Texas Aggies Felt Calendar

  • US TxAM-C 1236
  • Collection
  • 1970

This collection includes 1970 felt Texas Aggie Felt Calendar with a painting of "Old Sarg" on it.

Texas A&M Wesley Foundation Records

  • US TxAM-C 1273
  • Collection
  • 1957-1984; Undated

This collection includes annual meeting, budget, and minutes reports of the Texas A&M Wesley Foundation meetings from 1957-1984.

Texas A&M Wesley Foundation

YMCA Building Cornerstone Collection

  • US TxAM-C 820
  • Collection
  • 1912

This collection contains items that were removed in 2011 from the time capsule in the YMCA building's cornerstone.

Robert F. Smith Manuscript

  • US TxAM-C 1216
  • Collection
  • 1895, Undated

This collection contains the works of Robert F. Smith pertaining to his work over the early history of A&M College called "Brief Sketch of A&M College". Included are his notes, rough drafts, and his original manuscript written in pencil, "History of the Agricultural and Mechanical College", 1895.

Smith, Robert F.

Old Main Building Commemorative Plate

  • US TxAM-C 1232
  • Collection

This collection includes a porcelain plate made in Germany with the inscription "Wheelock for M. H. James in Bryan, TX". The plate contains an image of the original Old Main Building that was destroyed by fire in 1912.

Marmaduke Knox Thornton Jr. Papers

  • US TxAM-C S0003-F0015-1278
  • Collection
  • 1892-1990

This collection contains a biography of Thornton, personal poetry, correspondence, photographs, and papers on the Chemist’s work in chemical and agricultural engineering at TAMC (Texas A&M College) and TAEX (Texas Agricultural Extension Service).

Thornton, M. K. (Marmaduke Knox), 1892-

Fish Drill Team Telegram

  • US TxAM-C 1293
  • Collection
  • 1967-04-06

The Fish Drill Team telegram contains a list of the student freshman Corps of Cadets on the drill team for April 6, 1967.

Joseph "Joe" Utay Collection

  • US TxAM-C 1289
  • Collection
  • 1912-1965

This collection contains memorabilia from Joe Utay’s career as a football coach during the mid-1900s along with his collection of football programs and stats rosters from his time serving in the Southwest Conference. Joe Utay was a member of the Texas A&M Football team from 1905-1907 as a halfback and was the football coach from 1912-1936. He was involved with the Southwestern Conference, the Cotton Bowl, and the Texas Officials Association.

This collection includes correspondence from Douglas MacArthur (then serving as the Commandant of West Point) discussing a potential football game between West Point and Texas A&M College. This collection also contains two lawsuits appealing for Texas A&M College to admit women to the university in 1933 and 1955. (The lawsuits were given to Joe Utay for legal review.)

Utay, Joseph

James C. Nagle Photograph Album

  • US TxAM-C 704
  • Collection
  • circa 1900

The James C. Nagle Photographic Album is a Kodak album containing photographs of Texas A&M College campus, circa 1900.

Nagle, J. C. (James C.), 1865-1927

March to the Brazos Photograph Album

  • US TxAM-C 700
  • Collection
  • 1909-1911

The March to the Brazos photographic scrapbook album contains photographs from 1909 to 1911 "March to the Brazos" Corps of Cadets tradition along with Texas A&M College Campus views, Campus tents, along with military campsites, and social events.

Irene "Mom" Claghorn Scrapbooks

  • US TxAM-C 706
  • Collection
  • 1900-1940

Three scrapbooks filled with photographs and mementos dating from the early 1900s through the 1940s.

Old Main Building: Transcript of Hearing After 1912 Fire

  • US TxAM-C 1204
  • Collection
  • 1912

This collection includes three copies of the testimony taken in the investigation of the origin of the May 27, 1912 fire that destroyed the Main Building ("Old Main") at Texas A&M College. The chairman of the investigation was Dr. D.W. Spence, Captian C. L. Fenton, and Wilmon Newell. It includes testimony from students, faculty, and staff that witnessed the explosion of the armory deposit on the fourth floor of the Main Building.

University Studio Negatives - Corps of Cadets Companies, Outfits and Squadrons

  • US TxAM-C 1478
  • Collection
  • 1949-1957; 1971-1977

Collection of Negative photographs of Corps of Cadet companies from 1949-1957, and 1971-1977. Negatives are oversized and organized by date. Names of individuals not listed: See Texas A&M Yearbooks for identifying information on individual persons.

Texas A&M Heritage Preservation Oral History Program Collection

  • US TxAM-C 1352
  • Collection
  • 1998-2002

The Heritage Preservation Oral History Program was designed to preserve for future generations of Aggies the history and traditions of Texas A&M as experienced by a diverse group of people.

The oral histories were largely collected by Haskell Monroe, the director of the program and the Dean of Faculties Emeritus, through an interview process. Haskell Monroe was a history professor at Texas A&M University as well as the President of the University of Texas at El Paso and the Chancellor of the University of Missouri. While at A&M he served as the secretary of the Aspirations Committee. This Committee wrote crucial reports advising changes that would help create the diversity experienced at A&M to this day including racial integration, co-education, and the elimination of the compulsory Corps of Cadets service.

The interviewees, for the Heritage Preservation Oral History Program, ranged from faculty, staff, students, and people highly involved in the university. This was intentionally done to give a diverse and well-rounded history and perception of life at Texas A&M University. These people ranged from university Presidents and their wives, yell leaders, student body presidents, and professors. In the Early Years of the program's history the focus was on A&M in the 1930s and the impact of the Corps. While in later interviews conducted professors and students were interviewed about more specific facets of A&M and individual programs and departments. While the program initially was supposed to only interview about 24 important people to the intuition it grew considerably throughout the process. The interviews were conducted from 1998 to 2002 totaling up to over 200 individual interviews and interviewees.

Commencement Programs Collection - College of Veterinary Medicine

  • US TxAM-C C000293
  • Collection
  • 1984-1999

This collection functions as a record of commencements done by Texas A&M's College of Veterinary Medicine. These programs are reports to the public, who attends the commencement, and clearly list all candidates for graduation.

Sewell Hepburn Hopkins Papers

  • TxAM-CRS 154
  • Collection
  • 1913-1961

This collection contains biographical data, publications, and data on the Biology Department at Texas A&M in which Sewell was a faculty member, as well as reports and other papers relating to oyster mortality research carried out through the Texas A&M Research Foundation Research Project 9 (February 1, 1947 - May 31, 1950).

The research project 9 was funded by six major oil companies and led by two Texas A & M University Professors, Sewell H. Hopkins (Head) and John G. Mackin (Associate Head).

Prompted by several lawsuits filed by Louisiana oystermen against major oil companies claiming damages to oyster fields as a result of drilling in the Gulf Of Mexico region, Project 9 was conducted under the auspices of the Texas A & M Research Foundation. Project 9 allowed researchers to design and implement field and laboratory studies seeking to determine the effects of oil production activities on oyster production. Eventually, a then as-yet-unknown parasite was discovered which preyed upon the oyster crop after they had begun to reach maturity.

Two other large research groups investigating the same allegations against oil production in the Gulf headed by H. Malcome Owen (Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Commission) and Albert W. Collier (Gulf Oil Company) compared notes with the Heads of Project 9, coming to the same conclusion. As a result of this collaboration, a description of this newly discovered parasite called Dermocystidium marinum was published in 1950. The lawsuits were subsequently dropped or settled out of court.

More importantly for the history of the Texas A & M University System, however, is the fact that Research Project 9 led ultimately to the creation and expansion of a Marine Sciences program, represented by the newly established (1949) Department of Oceanography at Texas A & M University in College Station. On 1 June 1950, after the termination of Research Project 9, Research Project 23 was begun to continue studies on oyster disease and maintain a Marine Laboratory at Grand Isle, La. The Texas A & M Marine Laboratory was established (1952) at the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston, Tex. In 1968 Texas A & M University was named a Sea Grant College. The Marine Laboratory and the Texas Maritime Academy were merged in 1971, which is now known as Texas A & M University at Galveston.

These papers, therefore, form a picture of the ground-breaking research in oyster mortality conducted by Sewell H. Hopkins as head of Project 9, which led to increased sensitivity of the interplay of industry and the ecosystem, and to the formalized study at the university level of marine biology in the Gulf area.

Other researchers whose work is represented in the papers include Jay Donald Andrews, A. D. Bajkov, Harry J. Bennet, James L. Boswell, Clair Brown, Sidney O. Brown, M.D. Burkenroad, Fred Caulthron, C. Ray Elsey, I. I. Gardescu, Gordon Gunter, C. K. Hancock, Harold W. Harry, Joel W. Hedgpeth, Willis G. Hewatt, A. A. Jakkula, Fred W. Jensen, P. Korringa, Louis Lambert, Hugh B. Lofland, Elmer J. Lund, G. Robert Lunz, Jr., John C. Aull, Alvin F. Dodds, Shirley Alfred Lynch, John G. Mackin, Wiley G. Lastrapes, H. A. Marmer, R. Winston Menzel, Thurlow C. Nelson, Joseph F. Prokop, W. C. Rasmussen, Sammy M. Ray, J. H. Roberts, Fred W. Sieling, John J. Sperry, Victor Sprague, and Claude E. ZoBell.

    * Bibliography

    * Ray, Sammy M. "Historical Perspective on Perkinsus Marinus Disease of Oysters in the Gulf of Mexico." Journal of Shellfish Research. Vol. 15, No. 1:9-11.

    * Ray, Sammy M. "Texas A & M University's Contributions to Gulf of Mexico Ecosystem Research." [Viewed 2002-10-10 at: ]

Hopkins, Sewell Hepburn, 1906-1984

Military Walk Proposed Renovation Plans

  • US TxAM-C 1192
  • Collection
  • 2006-2010

This collection includes official documents pertaining to proposed 2006 renovation plans for Texas A&M’s Military Walk including designs, presentations, firm history, engineer reports, designs, and certifications.

The Military Walk has been an important landmark since 1876 at Texas A&M. Originally the walk was a dirt road and was paved as a narrow street in the 1940s, later paved over again like a concrete sidewalk. The walk spans 1,500 feet from Sbisa Dining Hall to the Rudder/Memorial Student Center complex. The 2006-2010 renovation to the Military Walk included a brick makeover with lights, benches, and memorial plates.

The contents are as follows:
Folder 1,
Project Approach with PowerPoint Presentation
Architectural and Engineering Qualifications Booklet
Project Approach
Patterson Architects
MEP Engineer
Landscape Architect
Civil Engineer
Historical Documentation

Folder 2,
Memorandum
Edwards and Kelcey Booklet
Letter of Interest
Team Organization Chart
Related Projects Approach
Film History
Resumes
Principal in Charge
HSP/Certification
Quality of Serve

Folder 3,
Statement of Qualification Booklet

"Aggie Joke Teller" Collection

  • US TxAM-C 1220
  • Collection
  • 1980

This collection includes 4 packages containing materials from an "Aggie Joke Teller" collection, created by CELCO Company Richardson, TX, in 1980.

Department of Oceanography Research Reports

  • TxAM-CRS 429
  • Collection
  • 1950-1979

This collection of reports was assembled by a staff member who worked in the department from 1949 to about 1974. Some reports were added after 1974, but that was not done as consistently as before. Thus, for the first twenty-four years, the collection should be at least virtually complete.

All of the reports are in good condition. The earliest ones were published as mimeograph copies while the later ones seem to be published as photo-offset copies.

Corps of Cadets Caps Collection

  • US TxAM-C 1246
  • Collection
  • 1907-1977

This collection contains 5 Corps of Cadets caps/hats from individuals from the class of 1908, 1977, and other unknown years.

Results 1 to 36 of 134