Type of entity
Authorized form of name
American Association of University Women
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
- Association of Collegiate Alumnae (U.S.)
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Over a century ago, seventeen college alumnae from eight colleges met in Boston to discuss the needs of women college graduates, and the forming of the Association of Collegiate Alumnae. The intent of this organization was to expand the range of professional opportunities available for female college graduates and to enable more women to pursue higher education in the future.
In 1882, one year after this original meeting, the Association of Collegiate Alumnae (ACA) was formed. It consisted of sixty-five graduates from eight different colleges and universities. By 1884, local branches were being added to the parent organization, and in 1889 a membership policy was codified which specified certain standards to be met by its members.
Since those early years, the organization, now called the American Association of University Women (AAUW), has become nationwide. In 1992, five years after extending their membership to male college graduates, the AAUW celebrated its 100th anniversary with over 140,000 members.
The AAUW has, however, achieved much more than just membership growth. Its services to higher education and the community, in general, have been great. Hospitality programs for foreign students, graduate fellowships for women scholars, educational legislation committees, adult education programs, and current issue workshops are a few of these outstanding accomplishments.
The Bryan-College Station Branch of the American Association of University Women originated in 1948 with seventy-one charter members under the leadership of Mrs. Omar Sperry. Since its inception, the branch has been actively involved in many civic improvement projects for the cities of Bryan and College Station, Tex. Among the activities which have highlighted their history are creating a Friends of the Public Library organization in 1955; beginning the Brazos Valley Museum of Natural Science in 1961; developing local daycare centers in the 1960s, and creating a coalition of organizations through a "women's conference" in 1978.