Name and location of repository
David G. Woodcock Collection
- 1911-2013; Undated (Vervaardig)
Naam van de archiefvormer
Dr. David G. Woodcock graduated from the Universtiy of Manchester (England) in 1960 with a Bachelor of Architecture along with a Certificate in Town and Country Planning. In 1962 Dr. Woodcock was named a Fulbright professor and came to Texas A&M where he taught architecture classes. He returned to England in 1963 to accompany his ill wife and taught at the Canterbury College of Art and was principal of his own practice, specializing in urban design studies and historic building reuse. In 1966 he earned a Diploma in Town and Country Planning from the Universtiy of Manchester (England).
Woodcock returned to A&M in 1970 to head the urban design option for the College of Architecture and Enrironmental Design master of architecure degree program. By 1973 he was named the head of the architecture department, a position he held until 1978, when he returned to teaching. He was again named department head in 1983 and served until 1989, before returning to teach.
In 1991 Dr. Woodcock established the Histroic Resource Imaging Lab in the College of Architecture, which later became the Center for Historic Conservation. The center’s mission is to train students, professionals and others in the use and application of imaging processes relative to historic and cultural resources, to develop new techniques for documentation, analysis, visualization and interpretation, and to apply imaging techniques to the study of historic resources. Woodcock directed the HRIL and CHC for 16 years before stepping down and in 2009 was named director emeritus. He also created and developed the College of Architecture's Certificate in Historic Preservation.
Dr. Woodcock retired from Texas A&M Universtiy in 2011 and has an endowed professorship was established in his honor, the David Woodcock Professorship in Historic Preservation.
Content and structure elements
Bereik en inhoud
This collection contains materials that were part of the work done by David Woodcock through the Center for Heritage Conservation as well as the Design Review Sub-Council (DRsc), which reports to the Council for Built Environment and is responsible for ensuring all construction and renovation on the Texas A&M Campus. The materials focus on DRsc review, the Campus Houses that A&M faculty lived in, the Riverside Campus, formerly the Bryan Air Base and the Annex, and historic Bryan and College Station.
This collection is arranged into the following series:
- Series 1, Campus Houses. 1911-2006; Undated
- Series 2, Campus Buildings and Design Review Sub-Council (DRsc). 1967-2011
- Series 3, Riverside Campus, the Annex, and Bryan Air Force Base. 1944-2013; Undated
- Series 4, Historic Bryan-College Station. 1929-1999; Undated
Conditions of access and use elements
Voorwaarden voor raadpleging
These materials are stored offsite and require additional time for retrieval.
Voorwaarden voor reproductie
Languages of the material
Scripts of the material
Taal en schrift aantekeningen
Acquisition and appraisal elements
Directe bron van verwerving
Donated by Dr. David Woodcock.
Related materials elements
Bestaan en verblifplaats van originelen
Bestaan en verblijfplaats van kopieën
Related archival materials
- Processing information: A number of maps have been separated from the collection so that they can properly be housed as flat files. They are: 1. Campus Map with Campus Homes and annotations, 1938. 2. Duplication of 1938 Map updated with missing houses. 3. Map of the Campus of the A&M College of Texas Showing House Numbers and Name of Streets, 1914 4. Duplication of Map of the Campus of the A&M College of Texas Showing House Numbers and Name of Streets, 1914 5. Illustrative Master Plan - Texas A&M University Riverside Campus, Undated 6. Aerial Riverside Campus, Undated 7. Texas A&M University Map,  8. Texas A&M University Riverside Campus Map, Spring 2010 9. Hanging File - Research Annex (Contains ground layouts for: 1942, 1953, 1966, 1967, 1968) 10. Bryan-College Station Street Guide, Undated 11. Texas State Map/Brazos County, 1976 12. Map of Bryan-College Station, Texas (with notes written on it), 1988
Description control element
Regels of conventies
Aantekeningen van de archivaris
Processed by, and finding aid created by Greg Bailey, April 2015.
Finding aid updated by Jaime Janda, August 2021.
- Texas A & M University (Onderwerp)
- Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas (Onderwerp)